Friday, November 8, 2013

Our Love Story : Part 1

Tim and Evy's Love Story


Part 1
This is a story about love, hate, and everywhere in between. After three years of marriage I'm finally taking the time to write out our love story.
I've been putting it off for years for a couple reasons, one being I never felt like I had enough time to record it properly, but I think the main reason was I never wanted to have it written out for the world to see. I just knew, and still believe it won't be understood by everyone. I felt like people would judge me for how unusual it is. Most people I've told the story to end up saying it's one the the best they're heard in awhile, but I still have others think we're a little strange. Someone asked me about it the other day and it was a lot harder to put all the details back in the right order, and if I want to continue telling a true story I'd better write it down before too much more time passes. So love it, hate it, or think it's strange, but here it is.

I'll start back in 2005. December 2nd to be exact. I walked into the staff meeting that we have every morning at the non profit I worked for. I sat down next to my best friend Leah. She had been out of town for awhile and it was good to see her again. I noticed she was sitting with a whole row of people I didn't know. It was all guys so it'd be awkward for me to lean around her and see who they were, so I kept my eyes focused on the speaker and the floor. At the end of the meeting it was announced that one of the visitors had a birthday. We all proceed to sing to this guy named Tim. I looked down the row to see who I was singing to. By the end of 'the happy birthday song' I had had enough time to decide that this Tim guy was nice looking and seemed to be 'a nice guy'.
I ended up meeting Tim's dad and brother in the course of the next few days, but not Tim. We made eye contact once while passing each other but that was the extent of our interaction. Of course as a young teenage girl I wrote in my journal that night 'Leah's friend seemed to like me'.

Over the next few years my friend Leah would talk about Tim and his family. Turns out she had grown up with them and even used to babysit Tim. No, it's not that strange, because Leah is ten years older than me. I said Leah would talk about Tim and his family, quite a lot actually. She would mention how he was getting into photography, video production and travel, all things very close to my heart. Of course she wasn't saying any of this for my benefit because she never put us together as a couple. But I was however logging all this away in my mind.
One time while visiting Leah at her home in Indiana she thought it would be fun to visit the Porters. I was trying not to let her notice I was somewhat nervous about making a good impression on them. Tim wasn't going to be there, but I still wanted the family to like me. It was a nice time, his younger brother got s splinter in his foot so most of the visit was us trying to get it out. Mrs. Porter admits she didn't remember that I came over, but I guess that's a good thing, at least I didn't make a bad impression.

Ok, fast forward three years after I saw Tim for the first time. It's Fall 2008. Leah and I were driving down the highway on a cold October day. I was telling her how I was getting older and I didn't want to be wasting any of my life. I mention that I wanted to like shoot a documentary in Africa or something. Anyone that knows Leah knows she has this look that comes over her face when she get's 'a brilliant' idea.



 photo IMG_0789_zps04c7f1bc.jpg  photo IMG_0800_zps1af1882d.jpg  photo IMG_0793_zpsf76279dc.jpg

6 comments:

  1. so glad you're writing this out, Evy! can't wait to read more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to love reading this, Evy! And I for one love REAL stories. :) It just goes to show that the Lord doesn't work in the same way for every couple... and that's so wonderful about it... because it's all of God. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! Great cliff hanger!! I agree with Leah it is so neat to see how God works in each persons life. We fall and mess things up... We think... but God uses each circumstance to bring glory to His Son! Thank you for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely loved hearing your love story, Evy, at the workshop. It's one of my top favorites of the ones I've heard, if not the favorite. :) It's so neat how the Lord brought you and Tim together. It's beautifully unique, girl. Love it and am so loving reading through the written version. :) You two are so awesome. The end. =) Much love!!

    ReplyDelete